The Indian College of Arts & Draftsmanship
Established in: 1893
Founded by: Lt. Monmathanath Chakraborty
Manmathanath Chakravarty, the famous photographer laid the foundation of 'The Indian School of Art' at 240A, Bowbazar Street, Calcutta with just three students in the year 1893. At that time Henry Hover Lock, a student of South Kensington, introduced a new syllabus which aimed to make experts on copying, practical drawing and industrial drawings. Under such method of teaching, students, at the outset, were not allowed to draw what they saw in the visual world, they would have to draw from copy books, printed materials, antiques, models and last of all from nature. Lot of altercations, of course, had ensued for and against such a system.
Mr. Shyamlal Chakraborty, his brother, took the chair of Principal of the School. Technical teaching aspect got obliterated slowly and steadily,syllabus contained Drawing, Painting, Commercial Art as well as Engraving, Photography, Sculpture and Art Painting and allied subjects. Degree course was introduced in 'Indian Art College'.The college has been enlisted under Sec. 2(f) and 12(b) of U.G.C. act in 2004 as well. Presently, the University syllabus is followed in place of Old Art Education system. In 1956, this school was conferred the dignity of a college. Recognition by Lalit Kala Academy was followed by approval of the college in 1966 by the Rabindra Bharati Unitersity.
Affiliated to in: Rabindra Bharati University enlisted under the U.G.C. as UG College